Thursday, January 20, 2011

Back from break.....

I cannot tell you how amazed I am that it's been almost 7 months since my last post! Talk about neglect!

I hereby vow to be better about updating this blog.  There.  Now, with that being said, so much has happened that it very well could take a novel to update everything.  Holidays came and went with a flash.  The boy has grown taller, smarter and more independent.  A good and bad thing at times.  The oldest is moving to Arizona this month.  An exciting adventure for him, but a sad one at the same time.  He will be almost 420 miles farther away from us!  I'm thinking this will give us the opportunity to finally rent that RV and go to the Grand Canyon! Nothing new for me, same job, same endless list of household projects that I'm trying to finish.  Not much new for the husband, same job, some travel planned this year for work.  Now on to the food!

I've had the opportunity to try some new and amazing recipes.  Some were also not so amazing.  Like the healthy dressing I made for Thanksgiving.  Not so yummy at all.  It was average, and a few things could improve it.  It was definitely not like Mom used to make.  Because it would take forever to list all that I have failed to post about, I'll start fresh with what I've done so far this week.  I call it my crock-pot experiment week! Some of these recipes I couldn't try during the week, as the cooking time was fairly short.  Those I chose to cook on the weekend, when I normally make the recipes that involve the most time and effort.  So needless to say, it was a little odd not having a lot to do on the weekend.  And dare I say....I actually liked it!

Tonight I am making lasagna! In the crock-pot! I know, right? That's what I'm thinking, which is why I'm trying the recipe first before posting it here.  SO....what recipe will I be sharing today?? It's going to be Chuck Wagon Pot Roast!  Super yummy and super easy!  Plus, if you have kids, definitely kid friendly.

Chuck Wagon Pot Roast


Chuck Wagon Pot Roast

  •   Nonstick cooking spray
  • 1  2- to 2-1/2-lb.  beef chuck roast
  •   Salt and pepper
  • 1  26-oz. jar  pasta sauce
  • 1  cup  water
  • 2  cups  mini wagon wheel pasta
  • 1  cup  baby carrots, halved diagonally
  • 1  cup  fresh or frozen cut green beans
Directions 1. Coat a 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray; set aside. Season beef with salt and pepper. Place beef in the slow cooker. Add sauce and water. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8 hours or high-heat setting for 4 hours. Add pasta, carrots, and beans, stirring into liquid. Increase to high-heat setting, if necessary, and cook 45 minutes more (pasta, vegetables, and meat should all be tender). Makes 8 servings.
Stovetop Method: Prepare as above, except place beef in a deep skillet or pot and add pasta sauce and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer for 1 hour. Add pasta, carrots, and beans. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes more or until beef, pasta, and vegetables are tender.

http://www.parents.com/recipe/beef/chuck-wagon-pot-roast/

This recipe, along with the other slow-cooker recipes I am trying, came from my most recent Parents magazine.  They tend to be hit or miss with the recipes.  This one we all loved! If you go to the site, we also tried the Paella.  It was so NOT GOOD!! The rice turned to mush, and you really need to cook the shrimp and fish prior to combining everything.  It also had no flavor.  Try if you dare, but my family rates this one thumbs down.

We also made this recipe over the weekend....

Pulled Pork with Onions and Peppers


Pulled Pork with Onions and Peppers
  • 2  1-lb.  pork tenderloins
  •   Salt and pepper
  • 1  cup  barbecue sauce
  • 1/2  cup  apricot spreadable fruit or low-sugar apricot jam
  • 3/4  cup  chopped onion
  • 1  cup  strips assorted-color sweet peppers
  •   Red, green, and/or yellow flour tortillas
  •   Shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, guacamole, and/or light sour cream
Directions 1. Season pork with salt and pepper. Place pork in a 4-quart slow cooker. In a bowl stir together barbecue sauce, spreadable fruit, and onion; pour over pork. Add peppers. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 4 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 hours (pork temperature should be at least 160 degree F.).
2. Remove pork and cut up; shred with forks. Stir pork back into mixture in cooker. Serve in flour tortillas topped with cheese, salsa, guacamole, and/or sour cream. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
3. Stovetop Method: Prepare as above, except place pork in a large deep skillet. Add barbecue sauce mixture to the skillet along with peppers. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes or until meat is tender. Cut up and shred pork, return to sauce, and serve as above.

http://www.parents.com/recipe/pork/pulled-pork-with-onions-and-peppers/

This one was also super yummy!! It makes plenty of left-overs, so be prepared.  The left overs are actually great on hamburger buns as pulled pork sandwiches.  Serve with some home-made french fries to go with!  This one is also another kid friendly recipe, as it was from the same Parents magazine.

Well, hopefully that's enough to for now, and to make up a little for all of those lost months!! Yikes! Off to start tonight's crock pot adventure!





















No comments:

Post a Comment