Monday, February 21, 2011

Getting into a groove, baby.....

So, once again, I've procrastinated and not updated this like I thought I would.  I'm going to have to pencil in some time for myself, that way I won't have any excuses.  Hopefully I'll be forgiven.

Tonight's dinner is something extremely easy.  As the weather get's warmer, I'll be trying more recipes for grilling, and easy weeknight dinners.

Asian Chicken Salad

4.5 oz vermicelli rice noodles(from 8-oz pkg)
3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1/4 cup lower-sodium Asian fish sauce
2 Tbsp. packed light brown sugar
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
2 cups shredded skinless rotisserie chicken meat(10 oz)
4 cups thinly sliced Napa cabbage(one small head)
2 cups shredded carrots
1/2 cup loosely packed mint leaves
1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
1/2 cup unsalted roasted peanuts, chopped

1~ In 8-cup glass measuring cup, microwave 6 cups water on High 10 minutes.  Add rice noodles; cook 1-2 minutes on High or until noodles are tender.  Drain.

2~ Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine fish sauce, lime juice, sugar and crushed red pepper.  Add chicken, cabbage, carrots, mint and cilantro; toss to coat.

3~ Divide noodles among 4 large dinner plates; top with chicken mixture.  Sprinkle with peanuts to serve. Makes 4 main-dish servings.

Simple and easy! We will be omitting the peanuts, as I'm not a fan.  You could add a tablespoon of peanut butter into the mixture before adding the chicken and cabbage.  Oh, or better yet, even a bit of Wasabi instead of the crushed red pepper, omitting the peanuts all together.  So many variations that I'm betting that
would be just as good!

This is also a great dish to prep ahead.  You can mix the sauce, shred the chicken and slice the cabbage.  I bought the carrots already shredded from the store. 


Tomorrow nights menu......Roasted Pork Chops and Butternut Squash with Kale! 

Well, that's all for now! Lots to do on my day off, and it's more than half over.  A cake to bake, something that people are actually paying me to do now! I have also forgotten the mint, so off to the store I go.  And then, trying to pick up the youngest early enough to feed the ducks before dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment