Saturday, March 26, 2011

Reality check.....

I really don't know how people with kids find time to blog! Not only that, but some of the people I've been following have multiple blogs along Twitter accounts, not to mention a few other social media sites.  Sheesh! I'm lucky if I get to write once a month! Heck, I'm lucky to have time to brush my teeth.  Even if I ever have more than a few faithful followers, I don't know that I would want to join up with Twitter.  This little baby blog of mine and my Facebook account are enough to keep me occupied.

As for any new recipes.....well, there have again been a few.  Lately my ambition has taken a vacation, and I'm really hoping that she'll return soon.  I have a lot to do, and I can't do it loaded up on caffeine and energy drinks.  It's just not enough!

I've been trying to lighten things up a bit.  It's warm outside now, and the grill has been calling the other half's name.  The last few nights it's been steak, pork chops and some turkey hot dogs for the little man.  Nothing too interesting.  Threw together a little pearl couscous and a bag of steamed veggies with just a little bit of olive oil.  Another night, mashed a few sweet potatoes with little applesauce and cinnamon.  Nothing spectacular at all.

This week the other half is out of town on business, so meals are going to be quick and simple.  No time for lots of prep or cleanup.  Tonight we will all be home, so I do have a recipe that we'll be making. 


                                      Tandoori Chicken Kabobs




What you'll need:

1 lb. chicken breast tenderloins
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
1 tsp. garlic paste
1 1/2 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
8 oz. fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
1 pkg. (8-9oz) cooked brown rice
1 (6 oz.) plain yogurt
1 Tbsp. lime juice

1) Toss chicken with 1 Tbsp. oil, garlic paste, garam masala, and ginger.  Thread each piece onto a skewer.  Make sure if using the wooden skewers that you soak them in water for at least 30 minutes first.  Coat asparagus with remaining oil.

2) Put the skewers and asparagus right on the rack of a grill over medium heat for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally.  (Cook uncovered if using coals, but put the top down if using a gas grill.)

3) Heat rice according to package directions.  Cut asparagus into 2-inch pieces and mix into rice.  Mix yogurt and lime juice together.  Serve on the side.

Recipe courtesy of Parents Magazine, August 2008 issue (which of course, I couldn't even locate on their site anymore)

I also purchased some traditional Naan bread.  The garlic paste was a little hard to find.  The only thing I could come up with was a tube of pureed garlic near the fresh produce.  We'll see what happens.  Garam masala is also a little difficult to find.  When reviewing some of the other recipes I came across, you can also use Tandoori paste.  Seems a lot easier to me, but I went ahead and made my own garam masala.  Here's how you can make it, too!

Garam Masala

1 Tbsp. ground coriander
2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. ground cardamom
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves

Makes about 1/4 cup.

If you prefer to make yours from whole spices, you can do this as well.  There are numerous recipes you can search for online.  Because I don't make recipes that require this spice mix on a regular basis, I went the easy route.

I'll keep you posted as to how this one turns out.  Normally, I don't like to post things I haven't tried, but this seemed pretty simple, so I took a chance.  Hopefully I won't have to come back tomorrow morning eating crow.

Well, it's a beautiful day and I'm about to head out and do some much needed shopping.  Hope the weather is starting to feel like Spring wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment